Collect and use the personal data of applicants for undergraduate/postgraduate programs during their application process
PURPOSE OF THIS DOCUMENT
The University of Delhi is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information (‘personal data’).
WHO IS USING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
The University of Delhi is the “controller" for the information that we obtain from you or others as a result of your application for study in various programs.
Access to your data will be provided to the University’s staff, including those based in the University’s colleges, who need to view it as part of their work in carrying out the purposes. We may also share it with the statutory bodies of the University.
THE TYPES OF DATA WE HOLD ABOUT YOU
The information we hold about you may include the following:
- Personal details such as name, title, address, telephone number, email address, date of birth, sex and gender identity, ID photograph (included within received documents), educational details, information about household income, and details of patents/ guardian;
- Education (including the school(s), form college(s) and other colleges or universities you have attended and places where you have worked, the courses you have completed, dates of study and examination results);
- Other personal background information collected during the admissions process, e.g. whether you have been in care, your socio-economic classification and details of your parents’ occupation and education;
- Information about your use of our IT systems;
- Visa, passport and immigration information;
- Funding and financial support information;
- Information about your use of our information and communications systems, including your communication preferences and website interaction.
- Information about your socio-economic background
We may also process the following "special categories" of more sensitive personal data:
- Information about your race or ethnicity, sexual orientation and religious beliefs;
- Information about your health, including any disability and/or medical condition;
- Information about criminal convictions and offences (if applicable to your course).
HOW THE UNIVERSITY OBTAINED YOUR DATA
Most of the information we hold comes from your application, for example, via online application system/portals. We may also collect additional information directly from you and from third parties, including referees, former schools, colleges and universities, and government departments and agencies.
HOW THE UNIVERSITY USES YOUR DATA
We process your data for the purpose of processing and assessing your application for study, and for purposes related to your application, such as assessing your eligibility for different programs. We set out below those circumstances where it is necessary for us to process your data.
We also need to process your data in order to meet our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others. Examples include, but are not limited to, the following:
- asking you to provide additional information on your application; and
- notifying you of changes to course information.
In order to perform our contractual and other legal responsibilities or purposes, we may, where relevant and necessary, need to share your information with the following types of organisation:
- The college you have applied to or have been allocated to;
- Your school, college and/or training organisation;
- Your referees;
- External organisations offering University-sponsored services including student surveys;
- The governmental departments or agencies responsible for funding and student fellowships;
- If you have or are seeking a particular collaboration with a third party, for example, because of an exchange scheme;
- Sponsors or benefactors of funding and financial support;
- Examination boards and awarding bodies;
- Testing services, including National Testing Agency (NTA) etc.
- Third parties including your former employer(s) or educational establishment(s) to obtain a reference or to verify the accuracy of a reference or other information you have submitted with or in support of your application;
Where information is shared with third parties, we will seek to share the minimum amount necessary.
All third-party service providers that process data on our behalf are required to take appropriate security measures to protect your data in line with our policies. We do not allow them to use your data for their own purposes. We permit them to process your data only for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
We will retain your data only for as long as we need it to meet academic and institutional purposes, including any relating to legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. Details of the retention periods for different types of programs may vary as per the rules and guidelines of the University of Delhi.
Depending on the circumstances and the nature of your request it may not be possible for us to do what you have asked, for example, where there is a statutory or contractual requirement for us to process your data and it would not be possible to fulfil our legal obligations if we were to stop. However, where you have consented to the processing (for example, where you have asked us to send you certain types of communication), you can withdraw your consent at any time, by contacting your principal/head of the department.
KEEPING YOUR DATA UP-TO-DATE
It is important that the data we hold about you is accurate and current. You can access, amend and delete your data yourself until the point at which you submit your application to the University. Please keep us informed of any changes after you submit your application.